Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

on Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:50:26AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:48:42PM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:18:18PM -0700, Alan Connor wrote:
> > > 2) They are a an extreme violation of netiquette
> >
> > I don't know where you've been learning your netiquette. PGP-signed
> > messages have been widely regarded as acceptable (if not preferable)
> > for *at least* the past decade.
>
> I'm on a yahoo mailing list that automatically strips PGP signatures
> from posts. I consider that a genuine breach of netiquette.

It's a specific violation of RFC 2015.  Among the reasons for supporting
a MIME-encoded PGP signature and payload is so that mail transports (and
archives) will _treat the content as immutable_.  This should be
reported as a bug to Yahoo.

Then again, there are other problems I've got with Yahoo lists/groups
which basically wall them off from me.  Try reading a Yahoo group w/o
cookies sometime.

> > > 4) They make posts hard to read and ugly.
> >
> > Only if you're reading them on a badly broken client (or User-Agent if
> > you prefer the term).
>
> eg. Outlook Express...

More to the point:  the RFC 2015 standard (as opposed to the S-MIME
signature standard) calls for a message body which is otherwise
unimpeded, and a signature which itself is plain text, meaning that if a
mailer without RFC 2015 support does _the right thing_ and doesn't mess
with the message, both are available.  As cleartext.  And for subsequent
validation.  Microsoft naturally "embraces and extends" this standard in
a way that breaks utility.

> > A properly designed program *even if it doesn't know PGP* will just
> > display the message text, leaving the signature alone it its own
> > attachment.
>
> And a decent client that does understand PGP will do the same if you
> tell it to, so you don't have to be encumbered with it if you don't
> want to be.

Alan's complaints here are very curious as his headers indicate he uses
mutt.  Which was designed as a reference RFC 2015 implementation by
Michael R. Elkins, specifically to provide PGP signature and encryption
support.

Similarly, Alan's mail configuration breaks threads for some reason.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/