Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:26:08PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:58:07PM -0300, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> > > I wouldn't mind taking up the cause.  What are the newsgroups this is
> > > heard on?
> >
> > linux.debian.user
>
> Isn't it also in muc.* someplace?

not that I am aware of...not muc.*...but there is another gateway:

http://www.debian.org/support

-> A lot of our mailing lists can be browsed as newsgroups, in the
-> linux.debian.* hierarchy. This can also be done using a web
-> interface such as Google Groups or Gmane.

gmane (http://gmane.org) claims to leave original Message-ID: and
Reference: headers intact.  I am unable to experiment with it by
starting my newsreader on nntp://news.gname.org because I don't run
any nntp server-type software.  My ISP's nntp server subscribes [me]
to the bofh.it gateway (which does rewrite those headers).

This recent thread on debian-devel has some discussion about posting
news2mail using the gmane gateway.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00319.html

I wonder if using gmane to post back to mail munges headers _at all_,
since that would presumably bork PGP signed mails/articles?

I feel someone should contact Marco d'Itri who runs the bofh.it
gateway, and ask his opinion about automating that small message about
the gateway being Read-Only.  I am happy to do this (in the next week
or two) and get back to the list.  How does that sound?

I don't know what, if anything, to do about posting a similar
automated message to gmane.

Tony