Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 16:18, Alan Connor wrote:
> 1) Neither I nor anyone I know cares if you are who you say you are or not.
>    ( In fact, someone could forge your PGP sig  because most people don't
>      have the software, and do you MORE harm that way. How would you prove
>      which of  two nearly simultaneous posts with the EXACT same PGP sig on them
>      was the real one. )

You do care if someone else pretends to be you and makes you look bad
though, don't you? It's really not hard to do.

You do not understand how pgp works. Only one of those signatures can be
valid.

> 2) They are a an extreme violation of netiquette

Please point me to the rfc for netiquette. There is no "one true
netiquette"

> 3) They are a waste of bandwidth on several levels

this is a matter of opinion

> 4) They make posts hard to read and ugly.

only if you use a really broken mailer or the sender is not using pgp
mime. and even if they aren't, it's  ~5 extra lines of easily visually
filterable info

-Mark