Re: installation via network

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:55:22 +0200
maurizio gatto <mzgatto@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> HI,
> i'm a recent debian GNU/linux user and i'm getting problems in
> installing a debian distro via network on  a laptop Penthium 1 120Mhz
> 32Mb ram with no cd rom on it. I got for it a EP-427x 16 bit 100/10M
> Ethernet PCMCIA Adapter and started install following the instruction
> i found in the section "installation via network" of www.debian.org.
>

>   This is what I've done:
> 1)dowload of floppy disk images (rescue.bin and root.bin) from another
> pc connected to internet
> 2) creation of this two disks by command: dd if=file of=/dev/fd0
> bs=1024 conv=sync ; sync
> 3)boot from these two disks on the laptop
> 4) when program modconf runs, i tried to conigure pCMCIA support,
> choosing controller i82365, and giving no further option to kernel.
> But i guess that here i failed because i got from PC firstly a high
> sound and then a low sound.
> 5) Afterwards i attepted to configure the device driver module for my
> card (which should be axnet_cs) but unfortunatly i didn't find it in
> the list.
>
> Then i decided to install a complete system by floppies so that i
> could restart the pc and look calmly for a solution. I dowloaded 4
> driver.bin and 20 base.bin diskettes and istalled them all.
> then i started modconf again and i found axnet_cs driver in the list
> I istalled it (modprobe axnet_cs), but the result didn't change.
>
> if i give ifconfig, i just read a lo, but no eth0
> on the /var/log/messages file i read:
> "no PCI interrupt routing table" and
> "no socket drivers loaded"

> What can i do?
> Could anybody help me?

Copied and pasted from www.debianplanet.org, more exactly, from
http://debianplanet.org/node.php?id=983

1.
When I give away a Debian CD, I always give them the instructions "skip the task selection, and skip dselect, then first thing after you log in as "root" for the first time, type:

apt-get install discover hotplug aptitude

That gets them automatic PCI device detection, USB hotplug support, and the best package manager interface available anywhere.
2.
I usually recommend people to install discover, mdetect and read-edid. If these packages are installed before X, DebConf can figure some things out by itself about the hardware, thus making the X configuration easier, especially for a newbie.