Re: NNTP to email?
Chris Kenrick wrote:
> I'm rather fond of mutt as an email client, and would like to use it to
> read Usenet articles too.
Try mailman. Create a new list for each newsgroup that you read and
then configure the lists as mail<->news gateways. Subscribe yourself
to the lists. Viola. Instant NNTP-via-SMTP.
I did this just last week because I can't stand slrn or any other
newsreader and it worked reasonably well (up until I remembered that
usenet is a gigantic fucking waste of time and purged mailman :-) ).
A few caveats:
1) I'm using unstable. Stable's mailman might not be able to gate news.
2) Make sure anyone can post to the lists, or mailman will hold all the
articles for moderator/owner approval
3) see the exhaustive example mailman config file under /usr/share/doc/mailman/
to see how to store your NNTP server name & password and such.
4) edit /etc/cron.d/mailman to change how often gate_news runs.
The default is 5 minutes. :-)
5) the gate_news program by default "catches up" to newsgroups it hasn't
seen before, so the lists won't see posts prior to the first run of
gate_news. If you don't like this then you'll need to _temporarily_
hack gate_news before its first run (IIRC add something like
"watermark = 0" right after it sets "watermark" (not sure if that's
the variable name). Be prepared for mailman to spend hours
processing the results.