NNTP to email?

I'm rather fond of mutt as an email client, and would like to use it to
read Usenet articles too.  I've been using a Python based NNTP
downloader, but it's a bit slow, and doesn't seem to handle
errors/failures very well.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good way to achieve this using
Debian (running mostly stable, with a few add ons)?  I'm aware that
there's a NNTP patch for mutt, but thought there is probably an easier
way than a self-built mutt package (then I have to maintain it as mutt
is updated, unless the NNTP patch makes it into mutt proper).

- Chris