Re: X11 RENDER support

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 17:39, Chris Metzler wrote:

> Note the second-to-last entry, and the fact that it's "built-in".
> My guess is that whoever built this X server (maybe Tal and Jon,
> the Libranet folks; or maybe they got it from somewhere else)
> made Xrender built-in to the server, rather than a loadable
> extension . . .sorta analogous to compiling a driver into the
> kernel vs. making it available as a loadable kernel module.  In
> such a case, the experience that the gdk library complains about
> RENDER regardless of whether 'load "Xrender"' is commented out
> or not would make sense.

Yes, xdpyinfo agrees with this. And I don't care that its loaded. I
kinda need it for drawing some weird stuff. I just want to fix the weird
glib warning being spewed to stderr everytime I start gaim or something.
Its more of an irritation than a problem. Especially since rox-session
has an overwhelming need to display these messages in the root window
every single time they're emitted... :/

> > Know of an easy way to do this? can i apt-get install --reinstall
> > some_meta_package?
>
> I know of no easy way to do it.  Purging (after backing up your
> XF86Config-4) and re-installing the components of x-window-system
> would do it, I would expect.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. I'll budget some
time for a 'quick'

dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt ; apt-get remove xlibs ; dpkg
--set-selections < selections.txt ; apt-get dselect-upgrade

at some point over the weekend when I'm feeling masochistic I'll
probably get around to it.

Thanks tho.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc

You have mail in /home/mental/Maildir