Re: X11 RENDER support

On 31 Jul 2003 17:14:59 -0400
Mental Patient <mental@neverlight.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:25, Chris Metzler wrote:
>>
>> So you're saying that if you comment out Xrender, thus turning off
>> get those messages?  What do your XF86Config-4 and
>> /var/log/XFree86.0.log(including the messages from X server startup)
>> look like?
>
> No, only that glib complains that I have a buggy render extension
> regardless of what I do. However, going back and looking shows that the
> extension gets loaded regardless of whats in the config file.

Well, I'm not an XFree86 expert by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm
hoping someone more experienced than I am is reading this thread, and
will jump in if I say something bogus.

That said, when I look at your log, I see the following interesting
things . . .

In the (large) section of the log in which server extension modules are
loaded, I see:

} (II) LoadModule: "Xrender"
} (WW) Warning, couldn't open module Xrender
} (II) UnloadModule: "Xrender"
} (EE) Failed to load module "Xrender" (module does not exist, 0)

i.e. an external Xrender module is *not* being loaded, because it's
not availble on the disk.  And then, later in the log, there's this:

} (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
} (II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
} (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
} (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
} (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
} (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR

Note the second-to-last entry, and the fact that it's "built-in".
My guess is that whoever built this X server (maybe Tal and Jon,
the Libranet folks; or maybe they got it from somewhere else)
made Xrender built-in to the server, rather than a loadable
extension . . .sorta analogous to compiling a driver into the
kernel vs. making it available as a loadable kernel module.  In
such a case, the experience that the gdk library complains about
RENDER regardless of whether 'load "Xrender"' is commented out
or not would make sense.

> Know of an easy way to do this? can i apt-get install --reinstall
> some_meta_package?

I know of no easy way to do it.  Purging (after backing up your
XF86Config-4) and re-installing the components of x-window-system
would do it, I would expect.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)