Re: I'm a Bastard Operator... From Hell.

On -5920-Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 03:53:29PM +0100, Hugh Saunders <hugh@mjr.org> spake thus,
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:32:20AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > And, if so, why do you want to "screw with him"?
> he's already said hes a bofh ;-)

Indeed. But only tongue-in-cheek.

a huge multi-user system on my laptop. In fact, I only have three
users set up on it. I just thought it would be funny, since we were
both sitting in the same office, to kill all of his processes and
wanted an easy way to do it.

But, in the name of further substantiating my cause, I can think of a
few scenarios when the legitimate use of slay would be appropriate.

1) Someone who is a valid user leaves the room with the shell logged
in and someone ELSE (who is not very nice, and therefore does not have
a login of his or her own) does something malicious such as run many
instances of a program.

2) A valid user accidentally causes many instances of something to
run, possibly in the course of doing some development. I have friends
who are still ignorant of tools such as 'killall' or who might not
think of logging into the machine a second time when their first shell
is hung in a loop in order to fix the problem.

Either way, I'm glad to know that slay exists.

--
Aaron Bieber
-