Re: moving mail to imap

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:18:51PM +0100, Craig Tinson wrote:
> Hey all..
>
> I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about
> 15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in
> folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking..

In mozilla I think you have to go in mail and news accounts, click on
server settings for the particular IMAP account, click on the advanced
button and check the box that says: "Server supports folders that
contain sub-folders and messages".

You may be using uw-imapd. uw-imapd stores mail in mbox files. It does
support subfolders in subfolders but in a very weird way.

When creating a folder you can either make it a "real folder" which
means that it creates a directory, or you can make a "mail folder" which
means that it creates an mbox file. A "real folder" can contain other
"real folders" and other "mail foders" but can't contain messages
directly. On the other hand a "mail folder" can only contain messages.
Mozilla is one of the only mail clients I have found that allows you to
choose which kind of folder you want to create.

Other imap servers store their mail in maildir format and avoid this
problem entirely.

I use uw-imapd because I have about 2 users to worry about (several
Gigabytes of mail but only 2 users). If you have more than say 10 users
and they have substantial amount of mail then you should consider using
some other imap server.

Bijan