Re: Cannot connect to http://localhost:631

Saturday 26 of July 2003 17:43 je &F pisal:
>Hello
>
>J. Zidar wrote:
>> I have a HP Deskjet 656C printer that I would like to set up using CUPS,
>> but when I try to connect to http://localhost:631 Mozilla complains
>> about not being able to connect to that server.Running the command
>> cupsdconf as root gives the error:
>> Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server.
>> You probably don't have the access permissions to perform this
>> operation.
>>
>> CUPS are installed (I can see cupsd running). The printer is connected
>> through a USB port. The modules were loaded without any complaints from
>> the kernel. I'm root while doing all the work.
>
>Is your loopback device up? Check with ifconfig.
>
>What does "netstat -l" say? If Cups is listening with default
>configuration, it should show a line like this:
>
>tcp        0      0 *:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN
>
>If it doesn't and cupsd is running, maybe your Cups is misconfigured. Take
>a look at your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, especially the sections "Network
>Options" and "Security Options".
>
>best regards
>        Andreas Janssen
>
>--
>Andreas Janssen
>andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com
>PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
>Registered Linux User #267976

How do I check if the loopback device is up?
According to the netstat command Cups is listening to the correct port; I also
went through the cupsd.conf file and realized that most of the options
regarding the listening of Cups were turned off. I've changed some options
but to no avail.