Re: Cannot connect to http://localhost:631

Hello

J. Zidar wrote:

> Saturday 26 of July 2003 17:43 je &F pisal:

>>J. Zidar wrote:

>>> I have a HP Deskjet 656C printer that I would like to set up using
>>> CUPS, but when I try to connect to http://localhost:631 Mozilla
>>> complains about not being able to connect to that server.Running the
>>> command cupsdconf as root gives the error:
>>> Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server.
>>> You probably don't have the access permissions to perform this
>>> operation.
>>>
>>> CUPS are installed (I can see cupsd running). The printer is connected
>>> through a USB port. The modules were loaded without any complaints
>>> from the kernel. I'm root while doing all the work.

>>Is your loopback device up? Check with ifconfig.

>>[use netstat]

>>Take a look at your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, especially the sections
>>"Network Options" and "Security Options".

> How do I check if the loopback device is up?
> According to the netstat command Cups is listening to the correct port;
> I also went through the cupsd.conf file and realized that most of the
> options regarding the listening of Cups were turned off. I've changed
> some options but to no avail.

Ifconfig should display all interfaces that are currently up. If it is
not, check if yout /etc/network/interfaces hast this:

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

The Networking Options section un cupsd.conf contains this by default:
Port 631
or to have cups listening only to the loopback interface in case you don't
want to use the printer over network:
Listen 127.0.0.1:631

In my Security Options section, these lines can be found:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

And below:

<Location /admin>

[long comment left out]

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1

#Encryption Required
</Location>

If it still does not work with these options, please check if you use the
netfilter and have configured it too strictly.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen