Re: Cannot connect to http://localhost:631

Hello

J. Zidar wrote:

> I have a HP Deskjet 656C printer that I would like to set up using CUPS,
> but when I try to connect to http://localhost:631 Mozilla complains
> about not being able to connect to that server.Running the command
> cupsdconf as root gives the error:
> Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server.
> You probably don't have the access permissions to perform this
> operation.
>
> CUPS are installed (I can see cupsd running). The printer is connected
> through a USB port. The modules were loaded without any complaints from
> the kernel. I'm root while doing all the work.

Is your loopback device up? Check with ifconfig.

What does "netstat -l" say? If Cups is listening with default
configuration, it should show a line like this:

tcp        0      0 *:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN

If it doesn't and cupsd is running, maybe your Cups is misconfigured. Take
a look at your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, especially the sections "Network
Options" and "Security Options".

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--