Re: sound configuration in Debian

Italian Superstar wrote:
Hi,
I use a Sound Blaster PCI sound card but my X-Window cannot recognise it. It displays a message saying "/dev/dsp cannot be opened. Permission denied. Sound output is null". Can someone tell me how to configure my sound card on Debian.

It's not X that uses the sound card, but...

It sounds like you don't have permission on the sound devices. In Debian this is handled with the "audio" group.

If your user ID is fred, do (as root)

# adduser fred audio

You will need to restart your X session to pick up the new group.

Another group you might want to add at some point is "cdrom"

Andrew