Re: need help with compile of pcmcia card driver

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:57:14PM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 12:31, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > Use modprobe instead of insmod.  modprobe will (assuming all else is
> > > good) pick up depencencies, and insmod will not.  This alone will
> > > prevent a correct driver from loading, so you can't tell just with
> > > insmod.
> >
> > Actually I did use modprobe, but modprobe uses insmod and the error message that
> > came up was from insmod. In my confusion, I mis-spoke.
>
> Ah.

> > I get similar, but not identical results from lspci -v. I don't know
> > if the differences are significant.:
> >
> >  00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1130 (rev 04)
> > 	 (Subsystem line is missing)
> >          Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> >          Bus: primary=00, secondary=20, subordinate=22, sec-latency=176
> >          (Memory window lines are missing)
> >          I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003
> >          I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003
> >          16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
> >
> > Note the I/O window is rather different, and a different TI part #.
> > It seems bad to me to have two windows mapped to the same address range,
> > but what do I do about it?
>
> Based on my own limited knowledge, you have a "modern" PCMCIA chipset,
> 'cause it's "CardBus".  I believe the memory range items you're
> concerned about are hardware issues the manufacturer decided on, not
> configurable by you, and thus probably ok (at least there's nothing I
> know of you can do about them).
>
> In an earlier message, you mentioned that the card lights up when you
> plug it in, but doesn't get you network access.  You didn't mention
> whether your sound was working, and if you heard the two beeps that
> signify loading a PCMCIA card.
>
> You get two beeps - one high pitch to signify a card is plugged, and
> then another - high pitch again if the driver loads ok, low if it
> fails.  The light suggests the card is activated somehow, and may mean a
> driver is loading.  Do you hear the beeps?

No beeps, but I need to make sure that sound modules are loaded. The intended
use of the computer does not call for sound and I may not have selected it
during the initial install.

> Your system might be loading the wrong driver, and you'll have to track
> that down if so.  Tell us what you can about the beeps, etc.

I do not have i82365 or tcic loaded. Until I get them loaded, I think
I won't be able to load any NIC driver, even the correct one. I'm
convinced by an email from dman in the archives that the correct NIC
driver for me is 8139too . The software that came on CD with the card
indicates that the chip is RTL8139. But I'll try any driver. Only
first I think I need to get a "socket driver" working.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a modem card, or any simple pcmcia card
from a friend and see if I can get any pcmcia card to function. But any
other suggestions are very welcome!

Further complication is the light on the card goes on, but only when I'm
using 2.2.20 kernel, and never when I use 2.4.18 kernel

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com