Re: need help with compile of pcmcia card driver

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 04:03:40PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:25:36 -0600
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@peakpeak.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an old laptop on which I have recently installed Woody.  I have

> > But the instructions for compiling the driver can't work as written
> > for Debian. The compile command is:
> >
> > gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes \
> >  -O6 -c dfe690.c -o dfe690_cb.o \
> > -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/pcmcia/
>
> Google for "dfe690-txd linux" and you'll get some references. The module you
> need is "8139too".
>
> You want to forget about the source code on that CD and use a later version.
> The current version in Woody is 3.1.33; you can get it by apt-getting
> pcmcia-source.
>
> The Debian way to manage kernels and pcmcia is shown here:
>
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
>
> You may not even need to roll your own; if you were using a Debian 2.4
> kernel you may be able to just run modconf and insert the module.

Looked at google. Found link to mail to this list from dman. dfe690txd is supported
by the 8139too driver. I decided to scrap attempts at compiling from source and
instead do a clean install of Woody. (Don't ask what all I had done wrong before I
got to the point of having a well formed question.)

This did not work. Even during the Woody install there were indications that there
was a developing problem. The install scripts couldn't configure the network stuff,
something I have done many times for non-pcmcia computers. But I pushed on.
I installed kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc and associated pcmcia packages. Rebooting made
the pilot light on the DLink card turn out. In dmesg I found the 8139too driver was
loaded, but the last message is:
ds: no socket drivers loaded! (excl.pt. is part of the displayed message)
I learned from pcmcia that there are two possible socket drivers: tcic and i82365.
I tried insmod on both. Neither would install.
Is possible that my laptop is too old for modern pcmcia? I remember vaguely a time
when there was a transition from 16bit to 32bit pcmcia. When was that? The laptop
is a Fujitsu Lifebook 520D that was purchased in Jan 1997. Is that too old for
modern software?

Thanks for reading this ramble. All suggestions gratefully accepted.
TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com