need help with compile of pcmcia card driver

I have an old laptop on which I have recently installed Woody.  I have
a new pcmcia NIC which I would like to use on said laptop to connect
it to my LAN. The CD which comes with the NIC contains two files of
software for Linux and instructions on how to compile and install. But
the instructions are for some other distribution, not Debian.

I know enough about Debian to have done some first steps:
I've installed the kernel-source for the kernel version that I want,
and I've compiled the kernel, just to make sure that the installed
kernel is congruent with the source.

But the instructions for compiling the driver can't work as written
for Debian. The compile command is:

gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes \
 -O6 -c dfe690.c -o dfe690_cb.o \
-I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/pcmcia/

For Debian this path to the include stuff does not exist.
I've found a path the seems to correspond to the above,
but when I use it I get lots of undeclared identifier errors.

Some details:
the Debian path that I tried was:
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/include/pcmcia/

the pcmcia card is a D-Link DFE-690TXD, which uses the RTL8129 chip

the directory pcmcia-cs-3.0.9 does not exist in the kernel source tree.
Maybe the kernel source tree has been reorganized since D-Link wrote
these instructions.(??)

D-Link instructions say this about this directory:

"The directory pcmcia-cs-3.0.9 stands for the card service version you
use. Please change it to the version on your system in order to
include proper .h file."

I don't know what to make of this statement, since there is no directory
with a plausible appearing different name at the top level of the
source tree.

I've also looked into using make-kpkg modules_image, but that appears
to require that I have, or create, a Debian package of the module source
according to some rules with which I am not familiar. Has someone already
created such a package?

Suggestions?

TIA

--