Re: Can't enable DMA

On -4969-Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:41:47PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> spake thus,
>     "Anthony" == Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:
>
>     Anthony> On 18 Jul 2003, John Little wrote:
>     >> >I'm using 3.0r0 (2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel) with ASRock K7VT2
>     >> m/board and Maxtor >30GB ATA133 hard disk.  >I tried switching
>     >> on DMA using hdparm -d1 /dev/hda but got the following >error
>     >> message:
>     >> >
>     >> >HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>     >> >

>     Anthony> [snip]
>
>     Anthony> Not sure if this will help, but with a VIA chipset I had
>     Anthony> to enable
>
>     Anthony> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
>
>     Anthony> to get DMA to work.
>
> FYI to the original poster this option is set in 2.4.18-bf2.4.
>
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4/kernel-config

I've been having this same problem, but apparently my VIA version
doesn't match 82CXXX, so I'm completely dead in the water for DMA (I
know, VIA is bad). I want to buy a PCI IDE controller card that will
support DMA, will this solve my problem? If so, what kind should I get
so it will be Debian-compatible?

Any suggestions? If someone out there is using Debian and a PCI IDE
controller, I'd love to hear from you.

--
Aaron Bieber
-