Mplayer codecs, 'Face' error.

Hi, (1) Writing 'Mplayer' as user I get
"Can't open '/home/adam/.mplayer/codecs.conf' No such file or directory"
I've downloaded the Mplayer codecs file from the home page but it is currently
in /home/adam ... that's not the same as setting up a conf file.
(2) Mplayer now handles all my MP3's (tough, I'd enjoyed installing those sexy
XMMS skins) but the video component crashes with the message:
Error: "New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong. Please supply the text font file
("/.mplayer/subfont.ttf)".

Any leads ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz