Re: crack traces in /var ?

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:19:46PM +0200, Andreas von Heydwolff wrote:

Would you think with deleting the /var/bobsdata dir, the crontab entry and my --reinstall I have stopped being a DDoS client and can skip a new install of my machine? Any ideas appreciated...

You've been pretty nicely cracked.  It's time to mkfs over everything
and start from scratch.  Restore /home from the last backup that you
know for sure was made before this started, anything backed up after
that is garbage and shouldn't be used anymore.  Good luck.

- -- .''`. Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user

Oh well. Second time this year. Thanks, Paul, for the response and good wishes.

I now have a few more questions:

My home dir contains no database files but lots of proprietary WordPerfect docs, pdfs, oggs/mp3s/wavs and jpgs and my mail archive. It is always mounted noexec,nosuid,nodev,user. I do have a virtual VMware NT4 machine running some of the time that seems to be virus/trojan free. Would you still recommend going back to a backup of /home after a clean install?

The virtual NT4 machine probably should be thrown away, or would you (or anyone from the list, as it were) consider it safe because the crack looks like a *nix specific one?

And, lastly for now: The /var/crackdir dir has a timestamp X. Does this mean the crack most probably did not happen before day X?

Err, and one more: Should I buy a hardware firewall/router instead of fiddeling around with iptables as an amateur?

Regards,

Andreas