Re: crack traces in /var ?

> Oh well. Second time this year.

How on earth and why are you getting cracked?

Can you share with us the reasons you have been cracked twice in 7 months?

What services do you think are being compromised?

What kind of security (if any) policies do you implement besides iptables?

Is it possible you were not implementing iptables correctly?
(I recommend Shorewall to help implement iptables the right way)

This is one thing I never want to happen to my servers, hence all the questions.

Maybe we can learn from your mistakes.  I would appreciate the information.

Andy