Re: crack traces in /var ?

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 02:54, Andreas von Heydwolff wrote:
> Err, and one more: Should I buy a hardware firewall/router instead of
> fiddeling around with iptables as an amateur?

Well, if you dare run Testing or Unstable... (Don;t know if it is
available for Woody) there is a VERY nice package that is called:

fwbuilder

I have used it since ... a long time ago, and it continues to improve
with each revision. It has a firewall wizard the blocks everything. You
have to make exceptions in order to get traffic IN. It is very nice and
makes short work of the whole thing.

Just remember Order of Execution of the Rules is the FOREMOST import. As
the first rule that applies WINS. So if you put your catch-all in before
your exceptions... well the exceptions won't matter.

fwbuilder supports a number of netfilter/iptables type of systems.

http://www.fwbuilder.org

ttfn