X, font problems (woody->sid)

Hello all,

[please cc: me]

This is a repost, hope I get solutions this time:

I have some X-related problems:

1. I get random images thrown all over the screen... if an html page is
or the toolbars, scroll bars, etc... This happened when I tried 2.6.0-test1
on woody. 2.4 kernels worked fine.

2. On upgrading to sid, I couldn't get 1280x1024 (was much less, dunno how
much, but the config file had the default as 1280x1024) for my Samsung
SyncMaster 750s. The Horiz freq. in the XF86Config-4 was set to 28-50,
whereas the monitor supports 30-70. But, on changing it to this value, I
get the same effect as in (1) above, even with 2.4 kernels. On switching to
a console and back to X, this problem goes away on 2.4-based kernels.

3. The fonts have been screwed since I upgraded to sid... They're larger,
and just don't look as they used to earlier... helvetica's way bigger and
the whole thing looks ugly. Some of them aren't even readable. I have xfs
and xfs-xtt running and antialiasing on in KDE, though that shouldn't
matter... even GNOME doesn't display fonts properly. The fonts directories
have been changed in the X config file since woody, and fonts exist in the
new as well as old locations.. I haven't tried pointing the paths to the
older ones yet.

Suggestions welcome,
Amit.
--