Re: [RFC] Initialisation of ssh-agent

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:31:51PM +0200, HdV@DTO.TUDelft.NL wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Colin Watson wrote:
> > ps is probably the most inconsistent command in the entirety of Unix.
> > No, 'ps ux' won't work on Unix systems which take most of their heritage
> > from System V rather than BSD, and there is probably no one set of ps
> > arguments that will work everywhere.
>
> Yeah, I was getting afraid of that after some testing. Would
>
> pgrep -U $USER ssh-agent
>
> be more portable?

Probably less portable, if anything. I don't know of any portable way to
handle process IDs; you have to test the operating system and act
accordingly. :(

If in doubt, you're probably best off dealing with the operating systems
you know about and requesting patches for others while failing
reasonably gracefully. If anybody cares, they'll do something about it.

Cheers,