Re: Smaller margins in postscript documents.

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil@frisurf.no> writes:

> I want to shrink the margins of postscript documents, thereby
> enlarging the text to occupy a larger portion of each page. Any
> suggestions?

I suspect you're not really writing postscript documents by hand; what
is producing the files?  There's not an easy way to do this in
general.  There might be something that could rescale a file to be 10%
larger and still centered, but I can't come up with anything off hand
that would do it.

Answering the question you actually asked, though, when you 'moveto'
to draw text, just go closer to the edge of the paper.  I find it
useful to define macros for this sort of thing, so I might have:

  /inch { 72 mul } bind def
  /pageheight 11 inch def
  /pagewidth 8.5 inch def
  /margin 0.75 inch def  %% change this to change margins
  /fontheight 11 def

  /Palatino findfont fontheight scalefont setfont
  margin pageheight margin sub fontheight sub moveto
  (Hello, world!) show
  showpage

And if you're really motivated, you might look at the source in
http://web.mit.edu/dmaze/Public/runsched.ps, which does have some
line-filling and font-changing code.

	-- Abra Mitchell