Re: "Can't open display" after migrating from sarge to sid

Dougie Nisbet <dougie@highmoor.co.uk> writes:

> I upgraded to sid running KDE 3 last weekend. Now I find I can't display X
> apps from other hosts onto my PC.

'ssh -X remotehost.example.com' has always worked just fine for me...

> Running 'xhost +'

*NEVER EVER* do this; you've now made it possible for anyone on the
Internet to do things like silently snoop on your xterms and capture
usernames and passwords you type in.

> Using ssh -X

How does it fail?  Does 'ssh -v -X ...' give enlightening information?

> /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
>
> X11Forwarding no <- set this to yes

(On the remote end; you probably also need to restart sshd.)

> /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>
>  #  ForwardAgent no  <-- Uncomment and set to yes
>  #  ForwardX11 no     <-- Uncomment and set to yes

(On the local end, or edit ~/.ssh/config.  Also exercise some
discretion here, since there are security implications if you ssh to
relatively untrusted hosts.)

> Editing /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and trying it with, and without the
> -nolisten tcp

Removing '-nolisten tcp' will probably make insecure X forwarding
(moving xauth tokens and manually setting $DISPLAY) work, but you
probably don't want this; ssh is safer and easier.

	-- Abra Mitchell