Re: Portable MP3/Ogg player supported by Debian?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Carl Fink wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a portable MP3 player so I can listen
> to recorded/downloaded content in my car.  I have never used
> one, and I'd love to get some advice on an inexpensive one (I
> don't care about audio quality) that is supported by a Debian
> package.

The rioutils program supports enough of the Rio 800 to upload,
list, and delete mp3's. I thought it was a Debian package, but on
closer inspection, it looks like I compiled it from source. I'm
using rioutil-1.2a4.

Here's my cheat sheet for communicating with it:

sudo modprobe usbdevfs
sudo mount usbdevfs
sudo modprobe usb-uhci

I like the Rio; I wouldn't go less than 64Mb of memory, as that
gives me about an hour's worth of music to choose from -- less,
and I'd be wanting to rotate the music more. If you're looking at
3+ hours of commuting, you may not be looking at "inexpensive" mp3
players any more. From what I've seen, there are either the
walkman-type small players, with up to about 2 hours of memory
using memory cards, and then you get into the 20Gb+ hard-drive
backed players -- those may be more appropriate for you, but are
mor expensive than the smaller players.

The Rio's main problem is the battery; I use it for about half an
hour each day (while working out), and I can only reliably get
about a week out of it before needing to recharge --> approx 4-5
hours of use. It claims to have about 10 hours of use per battery
charge. I have a feeling it "leaks" juice even while off. I go
through the recalibration every once in a while, which seems to
help a bit.

HTH,
-jeff
--
''We're rudderless, directionless, and in some cases, clueless,''
said Ken Johnson, an aide to Rep. Billy Tauzin, R-La.