Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:19:27PM -0400, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:48:20 -0400
> "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> > If fetchmail was able to pass the mail
> > to it, then that means it was listening on port 25 (and pretending to
> > handle incoming mail)
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by this?  I have fetchmail pass mail
> to exim; but exim is not listening to port 25.  Or rather, it's not
> *normally* listening to port 25 . . .are you saying that when fetchmail
> is explicitly configured to invoke an MDA in /etc/fetchmailrc, that
> MDA is briefly listening on port 25 until it's done receiving from
> fetchmail, and then quits?
>
> Confused, I am.

Fetchmail will by default try to pass it to an MTA on port 25, if there
is no MTA on port 25 it won't pass it mail. In my case there was a
crappy MTA that listened on port 25 took the mail sent it to /dev/null.
In your case fetchmail is configured to skip the MTA on port 25 and go
directly to the mda (or so you seem to be saying). Fetchmail has to be
explicitly configured to do that.

Bijan