Fwd: Re: exim outgoing emails always timeout

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:21:58PM -0700, Jack Pistachio
> wrote:
> | exim isn't sending out any messages to other mail
> servers.
> | My setup is on a dialup connection, but it used to run
> | great for a long time.  The only messages being
> delivered are local (to AMDKing).
> | Now every attempt returns something like the following
> from an output of tail -n 20 /var/log/exim/mainlog

<-- snip -->

> Try running 'telnet 64.157.4.78 smtp'.  You have some
> sort of
> networking problem which results in the inability of exim
> to connect

Tried this:
AMDKing:~$ telnet 64.156.215.5 smtp
Trying 64.156.215.5...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed
out
AMDKing:~$ telnet 64.157.4.78 smtp
Trying 54.157.4.78...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed
out

> The thing to do is debug your network and see why you
> don't have TCP/IP-level connectivity.
I can ssh into other networks, and ping the IPs I tried to
connect via telnet.

> The second thing you may want to do is
> change your exim config so it delivers all non-local mail
> through a
> "smarthost relay" instead of trying to connect directly
> to the recipient's MX.
>
> -D

I suppose I may have to do this if nobody has any better
suggestions or knows why these timeouts are occuring.  I
had it configured for direct connection because my isp's
"smarthost" waas super slow and wouldn't deliver messages
for up to over a day.