Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:19:02PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> [2003.07.16.1756 +0200]:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:40:50PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > fetchmail requires you to have an MDA configured, which may well be
> > > beyond the average user.
> >
> > Wait, since when?  I ran fetchmail *long* before I ran procmail...
>
> fetchmail can either forward mail to an MTA (which is also an MDA in
> certain configurations), or it can pass it off to an MDA (e.g.
> procmail). If you used it before procmail, then you passed mails off
> to exim or postfix or the like, which can act as MDAs if you don't
> tell it to use procmail or another MDA instead.

I remember having fetchmail deliver my mail to /dev/null after having
misconfigured my MTA. I installed one of those "Sending Only" MTAs to
use with mutt, and didn't realize that meant that fetchmail would pass
it the mail and it would happily vaporize it.

I think there's a patch out there to get SMTP support into mutt. I'm
going to compile that in one of these days, and free myself of all this
MTA madness :)

Bijan