Re: TCP/IP printing under Debian

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:04:18 +0200, Andreas Janssen
<andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Somehow the installation seems to have failed. Please check the status of
>the cups packages:
>
>dpkg --get-selections | grep cups
>should at least show:
>
>cupsys                                          install
>cupsys-bsd                                      install
>cupsys-client                                   install
>cupsys-pstoraster                               install
>libcupsys2                                      install

Thank you very much. I finally managed to install the entire cups
package(s), and after some trial-and-failure, it now works.

The trick was to define it as an "AppSocket/JetDirect" printer in the
cups interface, (which I eventually got working,) and use the static
IP-address in the Device URI, like "socket://192.168.0.20:9100/".

It printed a beautiful printer test page.

Thanks to all of you. Someday, I'll take a deeper look at the more
classical printer confguration, too. I tried it, but after a staircase
printout of the /etc/passwd I figured it might be easier after all to
try cups a second time.

By the way, apt-get is one fabulous piece of software. I'm very
impressed.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen