Re: TCP/IP printing under Debian

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:46:11PM +0200, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> I've worked a lot with UNIX administration, but I have no experience
> with printer installation. The howtos that I have been able to find on
> the net so far, seem mostly to deal with installation of parallel
> printers, and with the use of some GUI tool. Can anybody direct me to a
> basic resource on CLI-based TCP/IP printer setup under Debian/Linux?

I recommend cups. It works very well and is easy to set up. Once
installed simply open localhost:631 in any web browser and you can set
up your printer.

You should probably install:
cupsys (cups itself, the server that receives print jobs)
cupsys-bsd (cups version of bsd print command like lpr)
cupsys-client (cups print commands, "lp" and others)

Bijan