Re: TCP/IP printing under Debian

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:52:58 -0400, Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
wrote:

>I recommend cups. It works very well and is easy to set up. Once
>installed simply open localhost:631 in any web browser and you can set
>up your printer.

I've run

get-apt install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client foomatic-bin hpijs

and got a lot of things installed. The program asked me for default
paper size, and suggested A4, which I happily accepted. After that,
nothing much happened, but the installation seemed to proceed
successfully. However, as I start lynx, I get:

lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost:631/

Neither can I access it from my remote console. How do I start it? I've
succeeded in stopping the lpd service by executing /etc/init.d/lpd stop
-- but when I try the obvious thing /etc/init.d/cups start, I only get
"No such file or directory". I've tried:

find / -name "cups*" -print

and all I find is /usr/share/doc/gs/pcl3/lib/cups-pcl3.gz. I should
probably read that.

>You should probably install:
>cupsys (cups itself, the server that receives print jobs)
>cupsys-bsd (cups version of bsd print command like lpr)
>cupsys-client (cups print commands, "lp" and others)

Been there, done that. Nothing happens.

I miss the sysadm tool in old System V4. Compared to this, it was the
epitome of user-friendliness.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen