compile and install custom patched debian kernel

I am trying to install the grsecurity patch for the debian 2.4.20 kernel.
I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel source, and the grsecurity source.
Now I am not sure how to patch the kernel, before I compile it.
I am trying to accomplish this debian way...using make-kpkg.

Where do I put in the patch command?

Following my steps something like this:

     # apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev
     # apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18   # use latest version
     # apt-get install fakeroot
     # vi /etc/kernel-pkg.conf                # input my name and email
     $ cd /usr/src                            # build directory
     $ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
     $ cd kernel-source-2.4.18                # if this is your kernel
source
     $ cp /boot/config-2.4.18-386 .config     # get current config as
default
     $ make menuconfig                        # customize as one wishes
     $ make-kpkg clean                        # must run (per: man
make-kpkg)
     $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -686 --initrd \
             --revision=rev.01 kernel_image \
             modules_image # modules_image is for pcmcia-cs* etc.
     $ cd ..
     # dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb pcmcia-cs*.deb # install