Re: compile and install custom patched debian kernel

* Albers, Lucas <luke@coe.montana.edu> [030715 09:38]:
> I am trying to install the grsecurity patch for the debian 2.4.20 kernel.
> I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel source, and the grsecurity source.
> Now I am not sure how to patch the kernel, before I compile it.
> I am trying to accomplish this debian way...using make-kpkg.
>
> Where do I put in the patch command?

Just after you untar the kernel source.

> Following my steps something like this:

<snip>
>      $ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2

       ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux

       patch -p0 < patchfile
or if is zipped
       zcat patchfile.gz | patch -p0

<snip>

Hmm, be aware that you seem to mixing kernel versions 2.4.18 and
2.4.20, so I wouldn't expect the patch to go in cleanly. If the version
mismatch is just a typo, I would still would not be surprised if there
are problems since the Debian kernel source has already had some
patches applied.

What is this "grsecurity" patch, and why do you want it? Why not just
go for a Debian 2.4.21 kernel?

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.4.21-looxt93c2 #1 Fri Jul 11 15:43:58 JST 2003