Re: Confessions of a reluctant port scanner

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:42:29PM -0700, Bruce Banner wrote:
> It doesn't look like anything to worry about they are
> false positives leaving your network.  Your network is
> a private network 192.168.1.x and the false attacks
> are you hitting a dns probably your dns and your
> network hitting a website.  192.168.1 is a private
> network range that means they are unroutable on the
> public internet unless statically routed.  I would say
> they are false positives.  When running nmap run it on
> your eth0 interface as opposed to your loopback this
> can give different results.  check your home_net and
> dns server entries in snort.conf.

Thanks, your explanation makes sense.  I've taken a stab at configuring
snort.conf -- I hadn't looked at it before.

> There is a script in cron.weekly that starts lpd once
> a week.

So there is!  (This had me more worried than the port scans...)
And good call about Slashdot -- I _was_ browsing there about that time,
and I was scanning Exodus too.

Thanks again for your help, Bruce.

Patrick