Re: TCP/IP printing under Debian

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:46:11PM +0200, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to Debian and to this list. I've successfully installed Woody on
> an old Pentium (133MHz, 128 MB RAM, 2x4GB HD) and set it up as an
> experimental web server behind my firewall. I have not cared to set up
> any GUI on it, as I want to run it by CLI from a remote console (Putty).
>
> The installation has been plain fun so far, but now I'm rather stuck as
> I want to be able to print out stuff such as man pages, configuration
> files, and other documentation. I've got an old HP4M+ laser printer
> which, according to linuxprinting.org should work perfectly with Linux.
> It's connected to my LAN via Ethernet, and has its own IP address.
>
> I've worked a lot with UNIX administration, but I have no experience
> with printer installation. The howtos that I have been able to find on
> the net so far, seem mostly to deal with installation of parallel
> printers, and with the use of some GUI tool. Can anybody direct me to a
> basic resource on CLI-based TCP/IP printer setup under Debian/Linux?

Install lpr, and put the following in /etc/printcap (put the ip address
of the printer where it says IP_ADDRESS). Make sure the spool directory
exists (here it is /var/spool/lpd/remote), and is owned by user lp and
group lp. Restart the lpd server (/etc/init.d/lpd restart) and you
should be set.

lp:lp=:rm=IP_ADDRESS:rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:mx#0:sh:

I have heard that CUPS gives easy configuration, but for real network
postscript printers I think it doesn't get much easier than with plain
old lpd.

Frank