Re: TCP/IP printing under Debian

Leif,

You can accomplish this using the lpr/lpd facility that is likely already
installed. There were some security issues with lpd awhile back, so you
may want to make sure you have the latest pacakges for the Debian version
you're running.

Read the man page for lpr. There's lots of options, but you likely will
only need a few of them. Here's a sample from a server here:

lp:\
  :lp=:\
  :rm=printer.org.tld:\
  :rp=pr1:\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
  :sh=true:\
  :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

You may need to get the queue name (parameter rp) from the printer
docs. OTH pr1 may work fine.

One advantage here is that you don't have to install any other services,
which is good from a security standpoint.

Ernest Johanson
Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary