Re: installing a Debian system on a 2nd hdd while booted off the first

> This may be trivial, but I could not find definitive information on
> this.  I know about debootstrap, but I was wondering how I would go
> about to install Debian onto a second harddrive from within a
> currently booted system. I would like to be able to run the
> installer just as if I had booted off it.

Using chroot did the trick for me, but only up to a point. When it
came to kernal installation, the system is probed for certain
parameters by looking into /proc. Unforuntately, the /proc directory
on the target disk is empty because you did not boot from that disk.

This stopped me dead in my tracks and forced me to create boot disks
and continue from there. (Actually, I discovered much to my surprise
that I could hand craft some /proc content and have it provide some of
the needed parameters, but not all). If there is a work around, I'd
sure like to know it. All the guidelines I've seem assume you are
doing the "cross-installation" of debian into a partition on the
current (booted) HD, not a secondary (unbooted) HD.

Haines Brown