Re: ATAPI CD-writer

Pigeon wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 04:51:52PM +1200, cr wrote:

>> cdrecord -scanbus
>> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg
>> Schilling cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

> I take it you're either doing this as root or your cdrecord is setuid
> root? If not, what are the permissions on /dev/sg* (and /dev/scd*) ?

If it was a permission problem, cdrecord would have an error message like
this:

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI
driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

So it seems to be a problem with the driver (especially since the drive
can still be mounted as an IDE drive).

But to avoid further problems, make sure you are in the cdrom group if the
driver finally works. And changing the ownership of /dev/sg* to
root.cdrom and allowing read/write access for group cdrom  to these
devices can make ripping of audio cds much easier.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen