exim: local vs. remote smtp ???

I have had email running quite well on my internal network.  However, I
have a few quirks that need straightening out, and this week I have
become quite confused regarding how to finish this ;>

Internet
   ^

qmail gateway (trout) <--> main workstation (bragi)
   ^                       ^
   |                       |
   v                      /
workstation (loki) <-----/

I have tinydns running on trout, and setup using the domain:
private.network.  This works as expected.  Since my internal network
uses Comcast cable modem, I have my own domain (helices.org) hosted off
site.

When I send to remote Internet recipients, everything is cool!  My email
address, as seen by the outside world, is however I tell mutt to present
it.

The problems are with email originating in and destined for my internal
network.  I use fetchmail to grab email off several local machines
(e.g., loki), and manage all of them from mutt on bragi.

Also, sometimes I send email from machines other than bragi (e.g., loki)
on my internal network.  Such email to remote Internet recipients is
successful, and I am satisfied with the way the headers look.

Local internal network email presents interesting exceptions.

I want to know from where the email came whenever I open it.  For
example, when I send from loki to bragi, I expect to see From:
mds@loki.private.network; or, vice versa, from bragi to loki, I expect
to see From: mds@bragi.private.network.

Right now, with the current rules incarnate, when I send from loki To:
mds@bragi, bragi is not FQDN, and my remote_smtp transport sends it the
qmail gateway on trout, which -- correctly -- bounces it, because it
does not know about a domain called bragi.  Am I correct that it is
reasonable to expect that exim should correct this?

There are other issues; but, basically, I want my local exim's to send
directly to local network hosts, and via qmail gateway for remote
Internet recipients.  (NOTE: dpkg says exim is version 3.36-6)

Even writing this email, I am getting confused!  I suppose that I've
been staring at this for so long, that I cannot see the proverbial
forest for the trees . . .

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,