Re: Video problems and questions

Hello

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> I am still in the process of getting my new machine to maximum
> performance, so I pose yet another question: How do I maximize my card's
> performance under X and how do I get the framebuffer to work?

> As far as the framebuffer, it just doesn't seem to work. I have the
> options enabled in the kernel config, but any of the extended modes in
> LILO (like vga=791 for 1024x768x16 text) result in a totally blank
> screen until GDM comes
> up at the end of the boot sequence.  I do have the radeon.o module
> inserted, but the radeonfb.o modules errors out with "No such device,"
> but the aty128fb.o module inserts just fine.

> Here are my kernel options relating to the framebuffer.
>
> #
> # Frame-buffer support
> #
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=m
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
> CONFIG_FB_ATY128=m

Have you tried to compile the Framebuffer driver into the kernel? When the
system boots up, the modules are not yet available, so if you want to use
drivers right from the beginning, modules won't work (or only with an
initrd). If the radeon or aty128 framebuffer drivers won't work properly,
you can also try to use the vesa framebuffer driver.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen