Video problems and questions

I am still in the process of getting my new machine to maximum performance,
so I pose yet another question: How do I maximize my card's performance under
X and how do I get the framebuffer to work?

As far as X performance, what should I know about?  How do I know if I am using
the hardware OpenGL acceleration?  What tweaks should I make to X?  I have a
Radeon 9000 Pro with 128 MB RAM, the mobo is a Biostar with nForce2 and 8x AGP.
I have patched my 2.4.20 kernel with the nVidia GART patch and enabled support
for the nVidia chipset in the kernel config.

As far as the framebuffer, it just doesn't seem to work. I have the options
enabled in the kernel config, but any of the extended modes in LILO (like
vga=791 for 1024x768x16 text) result in a totally blank screen until GDM comes
up at the end of the boot sequence.  I do have the radeon.o module inserted,
but the radeonfb.o modules errors out with "No such device," but the aty128fb.o
module inserts just fine.

Here is the related dmesg output:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
agpgart: Detected NVIDIA nForce2 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
blk: queue c02a6084, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
[drm:radeon_ioremapfree:mappings] *ERROR* Attempt to free NULL pointer
[drm:radeon_ioremapfree:mappings] *ERROR* Excess frees: 1 frees, 0 allocs

Here are my kernel options relating to the framebuffer.

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=m
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
CONFIG_FB_ATY128=m
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_MFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4 is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_AFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_MAC is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=m
# CONFIG_FBCON_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set