xine playback is jerky

I have been able to play DVDs on my testing-sid system until tonight, when I
panicked and reinstalled xine:

ii  libxine1       1-beta9-1      the xine video/media player library,
binary
ii  xine-ui        0.9.21-2       the xine video player, user interface

Now the video playback is jerky (although the sound is smooth). These are
the last messages in the terminal window:

load_plugins: plugin dxr3-spudec failed to instantiate itself.
libspudec:init_plugin called
liba52:No accelerated IMDCT transform found

I use NVIDIA drivers.

I've googled to no avail.

Kevin