Re: Bad experience in installation

Hi,

> Take note of Jamin's comments.  Whatever anecdotes you read here
> should not be considered data.

Seconded. No data ahead here.

> I've also had problems with IBM drives, but I believe it was a
> particular model that was bad (it was a 60GB deskstar).  A particular
> model, I said, not a particular unit.  I've heard many horror stories
> about the 60GB deskstars, while also hearing that IBM's other lines
> (including deskstars in other capacities) were great.  Again, this is
> all hearsay.

I had two IBM Deskstar 7200RPM 40Gb drives crash on me. They were both
from 2001 and both "Made in Hungary". Both had audible mechanical
defects. I believe these particular drives are now refered to as
"Deathstar", but I might mix some stuff up here. I'm royally pissed at
these two drives now. ;-)

My workstation runs on a 2001 40Gb IBM from the Phillipines, I believe
(can't exactly rip it out just right now ;-), and is quiet, stable and
*fast*.

Two 2002 IBM 40Gb drives are in a colocated server somewhere running on
a hardware RAID controller: quiet, fast and cool aswell. One disk 'died'
after a power outage (it's happily running FreeBSD now on a testing
machine upstairs, so how 'dead' it is remains to be seen).

I find Maxtor drives to be very quiet and reliable, but I find the
single platter versions to run very hot. Anyone care to enlighten me
(us?) on how the latest IBM/Hitachi drives run as far as temperature is
concerned?

On a sidenote: what would you consider a decent burn-in time? Any
thoughts or suggestions on what tools to use to stress test new drives?
(Googling as we speak, btw)

Buhbye... Nico

--
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story.  It can give you the
exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows." --Frank