Re: Bad experience in installation

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:13, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Danthevb6man@aol.com (Danthevb6man@aol.com) [030707 11:00]:
> > In a message dated 7/6/03 6:55:47 AM Central Daylight Time, shri@urbyte.com
> > writes:
> >
> > > Was the hard disk IBM by any chance. IBM hard drives are renowned for
> > > their click of death. Nothing to do with Linux. I think it might have
> > > been co-incidence that the harddrive burnt out same time you installed
> > > linux but I am not a hardware expert.
> >
> > I just bought a new hard drive, and I almost bought an IBM.  I'm really
> > glad I saw this message first, I ended up buying a Seagate.  Does
> > anybody else have any recommendations--or warnings--on which
> > brands of hard drives are good or bad?
>
> Take note of Jamin's comments.  Whatever anecdotes you read here should
> not be considered data.
>
> That said, good choice on the Seagate =)
>
> I've also had problems with IBM drives, but I believe it was a
> particular model that was bad (it was a 60GB deskstar).  A particular
> model, I said, not a particular unit.  I've heard many horror stories
> about the 60GB deskstars, while also hearing that IBM's other lines
> (including deskstars in other capacities) were great.  Again, this is
> all hearsay.
>
> For desktop systems, I wholeheartedly recommend seagate's drives
> (particularly the ST340016A) because they're so damned quiet.  Inside a
> closed case, they're literally silent.  I also haven't had any problems
> with seagate drives either at home or at work.  Again, this is not data.
>
> good times,
> Vineet
> --
> http://www.doorstop.net/

I'd also interject that any manufacturer can hit on a design or
manufacturing process that, while it works great on paper, might not
stand up once in the field. There was a stretch where Seagate were to be
avoided (inordinate failures on any models over a certain stretch -
probably a manufacturing problem) and the IBM click of death reportedly
is most prone to a handful of models (design problems likely.) ISTR a
stretch where IBM drives were solid and greatly reliable, leading to
them being the preferred drive of numerous major system vendors. I
strongly recommend learning about the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)
that you can track down on drives.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org