Re: fetchmail and port forwarding

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:06:38PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 11:08:40PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> | I'm in the process of setting up port forwarding to bypass my spam-crazy
> | ISP. I've got everything working, but I'd like to try putting the port
> | forwarding information into .fetchmailrc.
> |
> | Right now I run from the command line:
> | 	ssh my.mail.host -L 8025:localhost:25
> | works great. Except I now have a terminal window that I can't close.
>
> Unless you background it :-).

Tried that, it kills the process.

> This part I don't understand.  fetchmail isn't related to outgoing
> smtp at all.  It is only for retrieving mail from an existing pop/imap
> mailbox.
<snip>
> If you want to tunnel the POP connection, you need to tell fetchmail
> to connect to the local end of the tunnel.  For example, this works :

Ahh. I misunderstood what I was reading on the HOWTO I found. I won't want
it for the incoming mail (although it might be a good idea as well), I
really do want it for my outgoing mail so that I can avoid using my ISP as
an SMTP server.

> Use public key authentication.  PubkeyAuthentication is part of ssh
> and not directly related to fetchmail, which is why you won't find an
> explanation of it in fetchmail docs.  Look for ssh docs to find info.

ok, thanks.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]