Re: Also won't for me (no sshd)

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 02:36:19AM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
> Hope this is the correct newsgroup to post on.
> Thought I might go to a distro specific site first, 'cos intuition
> tells me this might be a distro specific thing.
>
> Right -
>
> sshd wont start.
> Just wont.
> Doesn't ditch with error messages when I try
> to start it from the command line.
>
> It _will_ start if I start it in debug mode.
>
> only loggin I could find was in
> /var/log/auth.log:
> error: setsockopt SO_KEEPALIVE: Socket operation on non-socket
> Feb  7 14:39:14 queenmab sshd[2715]: warning: can't get client address:
> Socket operation on non-socket
> Feb  7 14:41:34 queenmab sshd[2723]: error: setsockopt SO_KEEPALIVE:
> Socket operation on non-socket
> Feb  7 14:41:34 queenmab sshd[2723]: warning: can't get client address:
> Socket operation on non-socket
> Feb  7 14:42:14 queenmab sshd[2728]: fatal: daemon() failed: Function not
> implemented

See the daemon(3) man page (at least in unstable). If /dev/null is
broken, then the daemon() library call fails in a strange way. 'ls -l
/dev/null' should look like this:

  crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       1,   3 May  6 15:54 /dev/null

If it looks differently, then something else broke it (and you might
like to figure out what, but that's a different matter). 'rm -f
/dev/null; mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3' to fix it.

> In my case, I also see that when sshd doesn't start, it does so SILENTLY
> with no warning at all. NOT GOOD. This isn't really acceptable for a
> serious program on a serious platform like Debian. I *challenge* the
> package maintainer to fix this SEVERE blemish in sshd.

Challenge accepted, as above. Neither the brokenness nor the crypticness
of the brokenness are really sshd's fault.

Cheers,