Re: Libc6 broken -- unable to boot...

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 03:55:08PM +0200, nacho@imit.kth.se wrote:
> Hi everybody:
> I am getting kind of desperate with this and before trhasong all my debian
> installation I would like to beg for help in the list. I broke my
> installation of libc6, while trying to install a newer version, and then I
> was not able to deinstall or install another version, since everything
> segfaulted. I though that I would be able to reinstall the libc6 with the
> rescue disks, but I have been unable to do it so far... so, what is the
> less destroying way of getting my debian system to boot again?

For future reference, it's almost never a good idea to play with libc6
manually.  If you have a package that won't install because it wants
'libc6 >= 2.3.1-16' or whatever, either rebuild it from source AGAINST
YOUR CURRENT LIBC6, or upgrade your entire system to sarge/sid and run
it there.  I can't think of any normal situation where you'd ever need
to upgrade libc6 with dpkg.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         NSA Aldergrove Telex EuroFed Juiliett Class Submarine