Libc6 broken -- unable to boot...

Hi everybody:
I am getting kind of desperate with this and before trhasong all my debian
installation I would like to beg for help in the list. I broke my
installation of libc6, while trying to install a newer version, and then I
was not able to deinstall or install another version, since everything
segfaulted. I though that I would be able to reinstall the libc6 with the
rescue disks, but I have been unable to do it so far... so, what is the
less destroying way of getting my debian system to boot again?

I have tried booting with rescue/root disks and then using the static dpkg
to install a new libc6, but it complains with something about the root
user (that is does not find in one of the dpkg control files...)...Could
some helpful sould give me some hints about how to get it working without
having to reinstall completely? This is my configuration, just in case:

/dev/hda1   /
/dev/hda2   /var

Last used libc6 : 2.3.1-17... which is the one that is broken in the hard
drive right now...

Please, Cc: to my mail account
Thanks in advance for the help!
/Nacho